Ministry of Transformation
Pathways to Hope
Love INC has launched a Mentor Program supporting families to free them from financial bondage, encouraging a hand-up through one-on-one mentoring and teaching budget & life skills. This weekly class and mentoring program is open to qualifying families. Childcare is provided, with an area for homework.
The Program is open to families/individuals whether churched or not, and is free. Success is entirely dependent upon his/her level of commitment to the program and willingness to apply the necessary disciplines in his/her life. Incentives are awarded for class attendance, meeting with their mentor fully prepared, and for doing assignments that move them closer to meeting their chosen goals. Each will be awarded vouchers that can be redeemed for product such as diapers & wipes, personal hygiene items, gasoline, food, paper & cleaning products, oil changes, and haircuts.
Some of the eligibility criteria for clients to be in this program are:
- Must have a source of income.
- All adults living in the home must be willing to attend the program together.
- They must bring all bills and receipts and allow finances to be monitored in a controlled and confidential environment.
- They must be willing to attend the weekly group educational session, plus the private session with a personal Budget Mentor.
- They must be physically able, mentally competent, and substance-abuse free to attend.
Volunteers include Budget Mentors, Teachers, Childcare Providers, and Greeters/Kitchen Helpers. Greeters/ Kitchen helpers set up tables and chairs, sign participants and volunteers in when they arrive, and then prepare a snack for the children. Childcare providers will care for the children while their parents are in class or meeting with their mentors.
Budget Mentors must be professing Christians, and a member of a Christian church with an understanding of the dynamics of budgeting and apply Christian standards to their own finances and familiar with record keeping (how to balance a checkbook, set up a budget, reconcile a bank statement, etc.) Must be willing to be a caring friend and pray for the mentee while at the same time adhere to the “tough love” concept. Must adhere to client confidentiality. Training and materials will be provided.
Teachers will be needed to instruct classes offered, or be a substitute teacher. Workshops will be held simultaneously, be repeated each quarter, and may include:
- Budgeting – includes banking, saving, credit, debt, insurance, taxes, consumerism, values, etc.
- Stretching Your Money – includes shopping, cooking, gardening, preserving, and energy usage.
- Life Skills – includes time management, decision making, parenting, and healthy relationships.
- Job Preparation – includes resume writing, interviewing, hygiene, attire, etc.
- Bible Study – an introduction to Biblical concepts that address past hurts, anger, and other issues that hinder a relationship with God and with other people.
If you are interested in volunteering for Pathways to Hope, call 503-655-4223 ext 4
Following are positions to be filled to adequately provide this necessary and valuable ministry to our community.
- As a teacher: Teach a class (or several) on Financial Skills, Stretching Your Budget, Life Skills, Job Skills, or a Bible Study.
- As a mentor: We are looking for people who are willing to be a prayerful encourager, motivator, and listener.
- As a childcare provider: By provide safe, nurturing care for their children you can help clients be able to attend the program. Childcare providers may also help children with homework.
- As a kitchen helper and/or greeter: Help clients know that they are welcome in Christ’s Church by serving as a greeter. Help set up the program space, sign clients in, and/or prepare a light snack for children.
- As a Transportation Program Driver: Help transport people to the weekly meeting.
This is an exciting opportunity to address the bondage of dependency. Will you consider becoming a sponsor of the Pathways to Hope Program?